Monday, September 3, 2007

Query:Dickson/Dixon/Hancock/McCreary of Posey County

I am searching for information and origin of my maternal g-g-g-g-grandmother:
Elizabeth Dickson (probably Dixon, possibly Gypsy in origin), born about 1808, Indiana. Residence from 1830-1870 was Point Township, Posey County, Indiana.

Marriage: William Hancock, 1826, Posey County, Indiana.
Children from marriage: John 1826, Elizabeth 1831, Eli 1833, Nancy 1840

Marriage: Alexander McCreary (a.k.a. McCarry, McCleary, McCrery), 1843, Posey County, Indiana.
Children from marriage: Mary Jane 1844 (my ancestress), Thomas 1850, Sarah E. 1854.

By 1870, Elizabeth was using her maiden name once again. Ranch-hand James Morn or Morin also listed in home on census.

I very much want to know the death dates and burial places of Elizabeth Dixon (possibly Dickson) and Alexander McCreary, born 1821 in South Carolina, who may have separated and moved to Tennessee. I have no information on either Elizabeth's or Alexander's parentage. There were many Dixons in the area in 1830, two of which had daughters around the right age to be Elizabeth. There were two Dickson households in Black Township, Posey County, Indiana as well but I canot make a valid connection to any of these.

Once, I brought up a Spanish land grant to an Elizabeth Dixon in the Indiana Territory, several decades earlier, but I can no longer find it and cannot establish a link to my ancestress.

Can anyone help me? I'm open to suggestions.

Barbara Baszler
P.O. Box 267
Hoopa, CA 95546
freyas_daughter@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment