Friday, September 25, 2015

Query: Leonard Jerrell of Pike County


I'm researching my Jerrell Family genealogy and I've hit a brick wall. I have an 1860 Federal Census record for Leonard Jerrell. It lists Petersburg, Pike County, Indiana, and includes his wife, son and my gr-grandmother Fruzanne Jerrell.

Then I have a copy of my ancestor Leonard Jerrell's Civil War Draft registration, 1863-1865. It lists the state of Indiana, several counties and the date of June 1865. There is other writing but it is difficult to read. After that I've been unable to find any kind of record of him at all.

In Nov. 1865, I have a marriage record for his wife Eliza Jerrell and an Isaac Harrell; the 1870 census has her married to Isaac and her children by Leonard Jerrell listed as step-children.

How could she remarry unless he died? Is there any way I can find out if Leonard died in the war or maybe died from injuries received in the war. Did he desert? He couldn't just vanish without some kind of record.

Phyllis Cantrell
kpc1@hamiltoncom.net

SUGGESTIONS FROM IGS:
The draft registration is an indication that he was subject to the draft, not that he actually served. (He may or may not.) Is there an estate for Leonard Jerrell in Pike County? Is there a guardianship for his children?


No comments:

Post a Comment