Saturday, October 15, 2011

Query: GREATHOUSE/WILLIAMS of Knox County

I am hoping to touch base with anyone who might have any leads on the RED CLOUD community in Decker Township, Knox Co. IN.
My 2GGF John C WILLIAMS(b:OH 1847)died in "REDCLOUD" in 1886 from Milk sickness. These details come from the widows pension, his wife Martha[nee GREATHOUSE] WILLIAMS which was stated under oath. John his wife and children are found on the 1870 & 1880 census there. No one knows where he is buried. My husband & I in July traveled to Knox Co and visited every accessable cemetery in existance there. We found there is a Redcloud cemetery. I had never previously seen any mention of this cemetery in a book or online. I think they lived near to the where Orrville later came to be.

Concerning Johns burial, is only an oral tidbit or clue that has been mentioned...that he was buried in the "soldiers cemetery", they were destitute by the sounds of it upon Johns death, Martha and their 5 young children left Indiana for Illinois to her family there. I am certain no lasting marker was laid for John.
I have even looked in Wabash Co,IL records as they lived just on the Indiana riverbank, making a living on the land and river. I have not found much in way of records for Decker twp. Indiana, I'm thinking or assuming most perhaps have been lost to the floods that seemed to frequent the township.
I have many records of John and his wife Martha GREATHOUSE WILLIAMS, but wish to find out if any thing else is out there.
Thanks!!!
Angie Williams
RR 1 BOX 179W
Xenia, IL 62899
angier70@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment