Monday, June 6, 2016

Query: Sanford and Matilda Barton, Tippecanoe County


            I'm trying to find the graves of my great, great grandparents and am hoping the genealogical society can help me as I'm relatively new to this and am not to sure about the best way to proceed.

            I'm looking for Sanford Hamilton Barton and Matilda Isabelle Barton. Sanford was born in about 1854 in Georgia, to John Wesley Barton and Martha Ann (Goss) Barton. John Wesley apparently died at the battle of Gettysburg in July, 1863. 

            Just after the war, Martha moved her son, Sanford, and four daughters to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, and married Johnson Graves. Martha is buried at Pierce Cemetery in Tippecanoe County. (Find A Grave Memorial # 35590571)

            Sanford married Matilda Zentmyer in Nov, 1873. One of their sons, William Guy Barton, was my Dad's grandfather.

            In my searching I've found that Sanford may have used his middle name as a first name, and he apparently died in 1884. Matilda re-married twice afterwards, to James Minnick, and Jacob Stewart. She died Feb 23, 1934 in Lafayette. 





Butch Barton

butchg17@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment