Saturday, February 6, 2016

Query: Nancy/Maria O'Donnell, Michigan City, IN

The Oct 8, 1873 issue of the Delphi Journal newspaper (digitized and online) has a small article stating that the body of my 3x great grandmother, whose name was Nancy/Maria O'Donnell, was found "in the river" in Michigan City, IN, sometime during the last week of September 1873.

Foul play was suspected given the injuries to her head and neck. My 2x great grandfather, Ferdinand Brechtel, was at the inquest. I've not been able to find anything more about her, what happened to cause her death, or where she was both or buried. This has been a 5-year brick wall for me.

 I've had no luck in LaPorte County or Michigan City, IN, with libraries, courts, etc. Would Court of Common Pleas have info on death inquests? No one I've talked to can find any court or coroner records that go that far back.

Any ideas you have will be greatly appreciated. I've searched Hoosier State Chronicles, Chronicling America and NewspaperArchives.com diligently and can't find anything more.

Thank you!

Denise Brennan
denisebrennan517@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment