Monday, August 25, 2014

Query: John Tilford Haynes, Clinton/White Counties

                My great grandfather was John Tilford Haynes, born on July 1, 1817,  in New York. The best I can determine, he came to Indiana from New York about the age of 24 and lived in Clinton County. He married Marietta Campbell, and they lived in Troy Fountain, Indiana. He married her in 1846 and left at that same time for the Mexican War. John Haynes served in the 2nd Indiana Infantry. I think he was in Company D, but this I have not proven out as there are no good records of that war
                He bought land in 1848, and I wonder if that was from a bounty from the war. Marietta died in 1860 of malaria and left him a widower with 5 children.
                John enlisted in the Civil War along with his 13 yr. old son David in 1862 and served until 1865. He then married Susan Girton, who was my great grandmother. I have copies of his application into the Indiana SS home in 1901, where he states he served in the 2nd Indiana Infantry in the Mexican War and in the 72nd Indiana Infantry, Company I, in the Civil war. I also have his obit that states "he was a veteran of two wars.” 
                John died in 1903 while on leave from the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors home and was buried in the Apostolic Cemetery in White County. He was honored in 1902, the year before he died and was asked to ride in the carriage with General Wilder, Colonel Thomson and Major Kilborn.. 
                I would dearly love to see him recognized for his double service. His grave has a military headstone and a GAR star. I do not seem to be able to find where David is buried, as he should also have military recognition for serving so very young with his father. If you have any suggestions as to where I can do more research on them both, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you so much for your time,

Barbara Westfall
11 Kintyre Drive
Bella Vista, AR 72715

2 comments:

  1. Do you know where David was living when he died? If he was living in white county. Contact the White County Historical Society In Monticello. They are very helpful there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think David died in Benton County in 1880. I do not know where he was buried.

    ReplyDelete