Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Query: COQUILLARD/CARTER of South Bend

I am a direct descendant of Alexis Serat dit Coquillard (co-founder of South Bend) through his son Alexis Theodore, his son Alexis Charles, and his daughter Matilda Coquillard (my grandmother), her son Allen Lewis Carter (my father).

Strange thing though, my family does not have our own Family Bible, but is in possession of the family Bible of the Alexis Coquillard that married Maude Perley. There is a hand written note in the back of the Bible with the date of marriage, Feb 23, 1881 and it is signed by Father Sorin (who states that he performed the marriage at St. Mary's - this is the same Father Sorin who founded Notre Dame). I have tried to make contact with the University of South Bend, and St Mary's Church which I believe would both have interest in the Bible, as well as the Coquillard family. Perhaps through this arena I will find an interested party. We are willing to return the Bible to its rightful owners or to donate it to the University or to the Church.

I had long believe that the photo in the Bible that was labeled Alexis Theodore was my Great Great Grandfather but now learned that the photo was mislabeled. So for my part - I are looking for any photos out there of Alexis Theodore Coquillard. I have a few of Alexis Charles as a child, but none of him as an adult and would love to see that as well. Alexis Charles left Indiana and moved to New York as a young man. He lived in the Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil area of The Bronx where he met and married Winifred Sweeney Parks. They had 3 children Frederick Edward, Matilda Agatha, and Alexis Theodore (Ted). Neither of these boys married, so the Coquillard name died out in the New York area.

Thank you for any help in these two quests.
Contact me at:
Cherie Magee
PO Box 806
Westhampton Beach, NY 11978
or ctimeline@aol.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cherie Magee, We are a family in South Bend that has the Abstract Title book and living in what we believe is the home of Alexis and Maude Coquillard. We have read most of the book and can relate to a lot of the things and names you spoke about. Also we have been trying to find family members that might be interested in this house and book. We finally came in contact with Mr. C's grandson and daughter-in-law.
    Anyway, we'd like to talk with you. slredding@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete